The BIG MOVES Developmental Movement Intervention Programme has been created to help the growing numbers of children in mainstream school, whose delayed physical development is a very real barrier to listening and concentration, learning success and appropriate behaviour. It is recognised that more than 80% of children have some kind of movement development issues when measured against national milestones, and children are becoming increasingly inactive.
This course explains to educators how the brain develops in early childhood and the foundation sensory and motor skills that every child needs to succeed in school and life. It explains the BIG MOVES every child has to experience in childhood before they can move on to using the small moves of the eyes and fingers for learning in the classroom.
Improvements noted from using BIG MOVES include:
- Significantly raised value added scores in KS1
- Better listening and concentration
- Improved ability to follow instructions.
- Better posture, no longer slumping in the chair.
- More imagination & creativity
- Improved ability to sit still and less fidgeting
- More determination and ability to persevere.
- Less complaining of tiredness
- Improved pencil grip
- Improved handwriting
- Improved tool use, including safe use of scissors.
- Raised independence, including in writing
- Greater confidence
- Better vocabulary about their own bodies
- ‘Self Organising’
Practitioners are trained to deliver a floor based movement intervention with targeted children. There are also additional BIG MOVES classroom activities as well as ideas for free play and creating an ‘Active Education’ environment that best supports physical development and learning. Reading materials and full resources are included in the course.
Please wear clothing and footwear appropriate for physical activity.
PLEASE NOTE; this CPD is included with Blaby schools Primary Membership Option 1 & 3
There are no current or upcoming instances of this course.